Total Syrian Refugee - UN Data





The last data update I published on June 26th, 2017, had been incorrect due to the “decreased number of refugees leaving Syria”.   The number of refugees was wrong, as I had the “sum of count” instead of the the “sum of total refugees and people in refugee-like situations”.  Also, regarding my last blog, I had mentioned that “...certain countries in Europe had to take steps to not take-in and accept any refugees in their countries for security measures and due to the amount of refugees they’ve already acquired;” I did not mean, nor wanted to impose that refugees are “dangerous and/or imposed a threat to other countries”.  There are many articles like the one provided by CNN indicating that some European countries had stopped or tightened their laws with regards to accepting more refugees, due to the amount they they have already accepted within their countries.  

With the updated data provided above, the United Nations reports that there’s been an increase of Syrian refugees in 2012 with 728, 927 and in 2013 with 2, 468, 346.  These numbers and the data provided by the UN match with the article written by Mona Charlabi in The Guardian, which stated that “the UN expects by the end of 2013 there will be 3.5 million Syrian refugees…”

The question I would like ask the UN is with regards to the number of “pending” Syrian refugees that are still waiting to be approved by the UN; which will allow them to leave Syria and seek refuge in another country.  To become a refugee and seek asylum and be allowed into another country, they will have to apply for refugee status, have all security measures checks be cleared, and be granted permission to the country they are seeking refuge too.  There must be a lot more of refugees in this “pending” or “application” phase or stage.

The plan to gather this information is to provide an informal request and speak to the “Duty Officer” and request for the data with regards to the number of refugee applications within the last 10 years.  If not provided then, a FOI (Freedom of Information) request will be provided and with a request to speak to the IT department to gather this data.  I will make sure and stress out that, I am not asking for pertinent information that relates to individuals names, address, etc., but simply just data and numbers involving refugee application within the last 10 years.

Comments

  1. Excellent work, Lawrence. I like how you acknowledged an error to open your post, as the importance of accuracy is critical in journalism. I think this is a great topic, which should really open some eyes. I also like your headline - it's tight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In agreement with Steve: I appreciate the clarification and correction in the opening paragraph. This topic is heartbreaking.
    Planning to ask Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for info on"pending" refugees?
    Like, how many applicants has the gov't of Canada rejected, approved, and are pending?
    Who decides who matters and who doesn't?
    Who is disposed of and given the bare minimum for survival in a camp?
    Stats do not do this justice.
    This are unique humans, with experiences, and the immense suffering is hard to fathom.
    Lawrence, would you consider including a refugee profile in your final report?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The UN Reports a Decrease in Syrian Refugees, from 2003-2013

UN Data on Refugees